Thursday, December 27

Mommy Advice I Hope's Not True

Apparently this is the time of year when all the lists surface. Top Ten Blogs, 12 Worst Hairstyles, whatever. So I'm stepping on the bandwagon and making a list: Mommy Advice I Hope's Not True.

And no, I'm not going to do it a la Letterman.

1. "You will never be able to read a book in peace again."
2. "Everything changes." Really? Everything?
3. "Good luck sleeping through the night."
4. "You haven't known worry until you've had a child."
5. "Sex once a month is a higher batting average than most." Can we play a different sport then?
6. "Become a mommy, lose your sex appeal." Ahh, the good old Catch-22.
7. "Make time for dates; otherwise, you'll never see each other again." Is that why the average American family size is only 2.14 now?

And my list is only 7 long. Because you don't have to have 10, 25, 50, or 101 things to write to make a list.

In the mood to make New Year's resolutions? Check out this list-crazed site. It made me add "see the Northern Lights" to my own life list. For my birthday this year, a friend gave me Listography: Your Life in Lists. I haven't written anything in it ... I'm not ready to put it in ink yet. Does that make sense?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, and yep! I hate to be like everybody else but they were true for me and about 20-30 other new moms I know. From all walks, all ages, sizes, vegan, vegetarian, healthy & not. Happily married, very happily married, and not so much so. Hormones and exhaustion play the biggest parts. I cried when we had ours and kept thinking and saying we used to be so happy. It's the hugest adjustment you will ever make. The most work you will ever do. And sooner or later a true test of your marriage, and your mind!!!!! I love you Karen, this is the honest to God's truth. I learned of the broad consensis after the fact. I had my mind set that it was going to be different for me, then the hormones, the baby, and exhaustion take over. It will be the most incredible adventure you will ever experience . . . but the adjustment is a doozy. They suck the life out of you!! It will be good, sad, bad & beautiful all at the same time . . . . . HANG ON!!
-Val

whatevergirl said...

I have to comment on the "everything changes". When I was pregnant with #1, I noticed that comment came mostly from men, and it annoyed me. I thought they were saying it in a negative way, like, you won't be able to do certain things anymore.
What I realized is how absolutely amazing the change is. You change as a person, and you will completely surprise yourself. And you will never realize how much love you can give until that baby is put in your arms. It is like your world is in black and white and then your children bring color to it.