Saturday, October 25

The wheels on the bus


Bean is quite comfortable making long streams of noises. She just keeps going, like the literary version of an Energizer Bunny. We should all be so un-self-conscious. On the bus ride home yesterday, she let out a constant babble. I think it lasted the whole bus ride--about 20 minutes long. You wouldn't believe the number of pissed-off looks I got. My baby's talking, what do you want? I felt like saying to one guy. To another: I hope you have a quiet evening! Despite my defensiveness, I did feel guilty that she was interrupting the unwritten code of bus silence. More than that, I felt guilty for feeling guilty. Why should I care if people are annoyed? This is a beautiful thing--she's learning how to talk! Why do I care? Why? But I do.

Work can be entertaining: I got this site from a co-worker yesterday. Absolutely hysterical!

7 comments:

BerryBird said...

How odd that your bus companions got grumpy about the Bean babble! On the bus routes I take, cute kid antics seem to be appreciated (or at least mildly enjoyed). I know I've spent plenty of bus time smiling at little ones. I also overhear all sorts of interesting conversations, so there is definitely no code of silence in my city.

Momma Val said...

People are totally psycho. I think I would feel VERY bad if it was crying and screaming that people had to listen to. Babble should be a walk in the park to commuters compared to all the unnecessary garbage noise you hear daily: engines, people talking on cells, sirens, misc. announcements, dogs barking during sleeping hours, etc. Baby babble, come on people, give us a break!!! You should be so fortunate to hear the sweetly formed sounds of a new little person rather than all the other noises. I used to hear these women cracking their gum in my ear on the bus. And those stupid cell conversations where people say, "Hey, ya, I'm on the train/bus/etc." Total dorks!

a/k/a Nadine said...

I love baby-babble. It makes me smile, and it makes me think of my grandma and how she was always so smitten with babies and little kids. She'd waggle her fingers and look so pleased.

Anonymous said...

I don't se how a baby babbling could be annoying. Those are happy sounds.

Momma Val said...

Actually this post should have been titled, "The Squeals On The Bus", (Make Frowns and Frowns). JK! Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Stacy said...

I would love some baby babble on the bus - has to be better than listening people talk LOUDLY about things they think they know everything about. I bring an ipod or earplugs for those days - but baby babble - that would be lovely to listen to! Don't mind the grump-bugs they obviously have a very cold heart and awful life if they can't enjoy the murmurs of a happy healthy baby.

Courtney said...

It's so sweet that Bean is finding her voice! Don't apologize for it at all. Anyone who can't appreciate the happy babbling of a baby just needs to sit back and relax more often! :)