Monday, July 9

Crafty

On Saturday night, I went to a local indie bookstore and picked up my first knitting how-to book ... and finished reading it the next day. Today I'm stopping by Windor Buttons to pick up a ball and some needles. Yah! I've always wanted to learn how to knit, crochet, etc ... but my mom isn't a crafty person and both of my grandmas lived thousands of miles away. I had a neighbor, Nancy Bonkowski, who taught me how to sew when I was about 7 years old. I have random memories of sitting in their attic with my old best friend Lisa and sewing. It was dimly lit and my neck hurt from bending over my work, but I loved it. Later on, in middle school's Home Ec class, I sewed on a machine and made a black canvas bag. My older brother didn't believe me when I showed it off proudly at home. "Somebody in China made that," he sneered. "You're a liar." I could have cried or punched him in the guts, I don't remember, but I still have that bag and that memory.

No comments: