Friday, August 15

We're officially sans automobile!

And it feels so good!

A. came by yesterday and gave us a half month's rent for our '97 sedan. We had to make up a bill of sale (MA's lemon law applies to private owners, too) and sign over the title and it was done. Finally! As I mentioned in an earlier post, we haven't driven it in more than a year and it was just sitting there in the driveway. A. hasn't driven off with it yet (it needs a new battery), but I think we should make a cake when he does.

It feels great. I always felt like owning and driving the car was a weight over my shoulders. It conflicted with my values, and now that I live somewhere that's not a cartropolis, I can get around sans auto. Sure, it takes a little longer to get there via mass transit and I can't sing at the top of my lungs with the windows rolled down, but it eases my guilt a bit.

Of course, we probably won't stay here forever. If we do move where there isn't mass transit, I'll look into a scooter, electric bike, Zip Car, or maybe a Smart Car. Hopefully by that point, cities will be trying to emulate Curitiba's public transportation systems and its other urban planning wonders, so we can all get around on mass transit.

For now, we're looking to buy a used bike. Preferably with a child seat for Bean (when she's older, of course). Any recommendations?

6 comments:

BrightBoy said...

If I lived in an urban area, I'd probably be doing the same thing you are. Why go through all the hassle of owning a car if it's unnecessary?

Unfortunately, Mountain Town is very rural and a car is absolutely essential to having a job or any kind of social life.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Congrats! I love those Smartcars.
:-)

Momma Val said...

Now where exactly will a baby fit on a scooter? Smartcar? Oh, I forgot, you can attach the stroller to the back of either. Ha! Try to ask for a bike on Freecycle. I found several baby seats for bikes at the local Salvation Army. Your best bet would be a lightweight trike for adults. That has a big roomy basket for carting stuff around and would be easier to get around with stuff and baby, but is quite an investment and harder to lug up apartment steps.

BerryBird said...

Congratulations! I know you've been looking forward to this forever. I think the cake is a great idea... a going away party for your car.

Momma Val said...

OK, we need a picture of your dear car before it's gone forever . . . . . please? OMG, gmail reads your mail and picks up the key words for advertising for you. After I got the comments I made about the trike back in an e-mail to me there was an advertising for the coolest thing. Take a look http://www.myzigo.com/?gclid=CJLxx6rilZUCFQVkswodCCj9gg
Is that the coolest thing or what? Think this is what you guys need now! WOW!

Stacy said...

Congrats on being automobile free! Must be quite liberating! Not sure on the baby seat solution.